Thursday, September 20, 2012

Client Spotlight: Jen Greenstreet


With the weather (finally) cooling off, laying in bed for a little longer may sound more appealing than gearing up for the gym. Luckily, with Fusion’s Dream BodyDVD, you can get the best of both worlds and do your workout from home after a relaxing morning. (You’ll even see some of the regulars in the video!) This month our Client Spotlight is on the woman behind Dream Body and fellow fusionista,
Jen Greenstreet.
Jen has been a client at Fusion for over three years now, loving the “dedicated community of clients, the inspiration, the positivity, the cute clothes, the amazing teachers, the style, the pumpin’ music and the absolutely explosive energy. And of course, results, results, results! I originally came with two of my friends whom I admire, Emily Eckles and Natalie Hartman, and I was hooked.”

How did you get involved with the Dream Body Workout?
As I became more and more addicted to Fusion, Darby and I began to get to know each other and chat about my various projects and her idea to do a video. I worked with her to develop the base concept of bringing the Fusion experience that she has created to the screen and into people’s homes; the style, community, intensity, results, philosophy, and FUN that keep us all coming back for more. I scripted it, helped put together the cast and crew, directed the shoots, and helped edit it. It was a blast! Darby and I have been friends for a few years now, and her dedication to her business is truly inspiring. Plus, she is such an amazing woman, great friend and mom, and I was honored to be a part of expanding her already booming business.
Your other “various projects” include being CEO of the NonProfit Corporation, Just Like You. Tell us about it.
After eight years as an attorney at the Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office, I decided to shift my career focus to filmmaking and found myself working on short films for kids with unique circumstances such as burn injuries, cancer, and Down Syndrome. I write, direct, and produce films for Just Like You, and I’ve also worked on an Emmy Award winning short comedy web series, an action film, and two feature length screen plays. I did Dream Body with my production company, Waking Up Films.

So as a wife, mother of three (Whitney, 16, Collin, 15, and Tiernan, 6), and CEO, you definitely stay busy. What’s a typical day like for you?

Aside from keeping tabs on my kids, depending on where I’m at in a project my time is usually spent writing, planning or directing shoots, or editing footage. I also love tennis and golf, and of course working out at Fusion. Which, by the way, helps me a lot when I’m playing sports because of the endurance I’ve learned in class. Recently, my USTA tennis team advanced all the way to the National Tournament in Tucson, AZ. I really think I was able to mentally and physically hang in on some tough singles matches because of my work in Fusion. When I was hot and tired and reaching for the will to serve one more ball, I just thought to myself...this is just like doing 10 more pushups in Fusion. If I can do it there, I can do it here. So inspiring!
What’s something you enjoy about being a mom?
There are so many things I love. I guess my favorite is whenever we can find completely relaxed time to hang out together, usually on weekends or vacation. When there are no “have-tos” and we can just be together and enjoy each other. It’s so nice.
With your busy schedule and all of your “have-tos”, you still find the time for fitness. Why is it important to you?
Feeling fit elevates every part of my life. It gives me more energy and confidence. It makes me a happier person, which makes my relationships with my family, friends, my work…everything better. I don’t know if this is a proven fact or what, but I definitely feel like I don’t get sick as often and I am just overall healthier when I work out.
Do you stick to a healthy diet also?
I try to eat as cleanly as possible, focusing on organic and locally grown foods. I also try to eat only as much as I need to feel satisfied, and just say no seconds, desserts, fried foods, and carbs as much as I can. But it’s SO hard!! Sometimes I’ll use the Lose It! App, not so much to count calories but to hold myself accountable for what I’m putting in my mouth.
Do you have a weakness to splurging on anything?
I LOVE a great bottle of wine or a fun cocktail on a girl’s night out. Which inevitably leads to my other favorite splurge the next day...onion rings! But then I just get back to my staples; Fusion, Lose It!, and only eating when I’m hungry and stopping when I’m full.
Jen, Bill, Whitney and Collin
You said working out helps you feel confident and healthy; how do you remain strong when our culture frequently focuses on outer appearances rather than who we really are?  
In my profession I’m well aware of how images can be manipulated to look smoother, flatter, younger. Because of that, when I’m looking at “beauty” images, I concentrate more on the clothes and hair, etc., rather than the body images. Mentally, I focus a lot on the power of my intention when I’m feeling a little shaky in the confidence department. I try to be as present as possible, feel my feet on the ground and the love in my heart and remind myself that all I can do every day is send my love out to the world and that’s enough. “Send the love” is the mantra I seem to always fall back on. With my kids, I like to remind them that we love them for who they are on the inside, not for what they do or how they look. I love them for just being. My husband Bill is also an amazing source of inspiration to me and is so supportive in everything I do, which of course helps me be free to be me.
You guys love to travel together. Where do you like to go?
I am addicted to traveling. I feel like there is just so much beauty in the world, and it’s so inspiring to see the places, meet the people, and just experience it. We just celebrated our 10 year anniversary and went with our best friends Robb and Amber Heineman, to Barcelona, Monte Carlo, and Paris. It was like a fairy tale. We also love vacationing where we can surf…we aren’t very good at it but we love it. Our latest surfing adventure was on the Oregon coast at Cannon Beach. It was cold but awesome!
Do you do any other exercise when traveling?
I always try to work out, but sometimes there are just too many sights to see. I love taking Dream Body with me and doing it on my computer…Emily Eckles and I recently did it on a pier in the British Virgin Islands. So Fun!
What are some of your favorite things to do around Kansas City?  
KC has an amazing tennis community with teams and leagues through Tencap and USTA that are fun and competitive. Our city is also full of beautiful golf courses. I love to hit the links with my girls or my hubby. My oldest daughter is also really fun to play golf with, too. Other than that, my husband, friends, and I enjoy Sporting KC games.
 
What would you do with a day all to yourself?
I would get a work out in, and probably try to meditate. Massage. Pedi. I'd love unfettered writing time…the list goes on and on....
The Fun Five

Favorite Restaurant: Urban Table. I love their breakfast and lunch...they have great lattes and turkey bacon (well done). The Jax salad is my favorite lunch!
Favorite place to drink a glass of wine: Capital Grille, especially on cold snowy days.
Inspiring book: “The Power of Now” by Eckhart Tolle

Beauty advice you’d recommend: I like to remember that real beauty is in your expression...what is coming from the inside makes the outside radiate. The one I probably end up skipping the most is getting my beauty sleep J
I find my confidence in… sending my love, being present, and trying my best in everything I do.

 


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment