Thursday, March 29, 2012

Instructor Spotlight: Darby Brender

We all know Darby as the owner of Fusion, instructor of classes, and major motivator as she pushes us to do more reps than we thought possible. But aside from her passion for fitness and her genuine love of her clients, what else makes Darby tick? I sat down with her to get her favorite foods, personal exercise tips, quirky habits, and more.

With a body like yours, a lot of us wonder if you spend more time sweating than anything else during a typical day. What is your exercise regime at home, aside from teaching?
"If I workout at home, it's working on Fusion moves or doing a backyard bootcamp with my family. I do hit the gym on my own to get in some mindless cardio every week. I love the way exercise makes me feel & look. I'm a total crab when I can't exercise, it's my sanity medicine!"

What do you tell yourself when you are just too tired to work out? Darby's motto, "go big or go home" can be seen colorfully inscribed on the walls of Fusion, and she really does take this to heart to remind herself that without putting in the work, you will not see results. "Music is important" she says; she keeps her personal and Fusion workouts fresh with new downloads and motivating beats to get her sweat on.

If you happen to skip a workout or indulge on a night of eating and drinking, how do you get back on track rather than feel guilty about it?
Looking at exercise as a way of life more than just a requirement for a nice body, Darby knows that "life needs balance. I love to have a good time too." She doesn't rock her body from starving herself or torturing herself on the treadmill, she looks good because she likes to be healthy. Missing a workout isn't a big problem for her, and she'd rather not sacrifice fun events for a sweat session. "I work hard to keep both in my life," she says, "live without regrets."

Aside from fitness, what is another passion of yours?
Darby didn't start Fusion to be a money-maker, she opened the studio to be able to share her way of life with people. "Fitness and weight-loss go hand in hand," she says, "helping people feel more confident and healthy through weight loss is my biggest passion." Aside from Fusion, you can also find her rooting for Nebraska Husker Football with her friends and family. 

Dossi, a little mini-Darby!

From counting calories, measuring portions, and eliminating entire food groups there are endless tips on managing nutrition from media. What works best for you?
Simplicity is key when it comes to eating; too many rules to follow can feel restricting. Being a vegetarian for 14 years, Darby's number one rule is no meat. "I also limit carbs and dairy, eat plenty of green veggies, and drink a ton of water." Simple!

You have two little blonde babies, Dossi age 5, and Will age 2. How would they describe their mom?
"Mommy is the rule-maker at our home, but Mommy is also the wacky one. At least once a week we have a major dance-off in our living room!"

Will's blonde locks can be seen running around Fusion!

What's something you love about being a mom?
"Early morning snuggles!"

As a mother, wife, business owner and more, how do you relax when you feel stressed?
Darby cites time spent with her husband and friends as the biggest way to help her unwind from the daily grind and get in much-appreciated adult time.

We all wonder if we can enjoy alcohol and a fit body in the same lifetime. Some diets restrict alcohol to only a couple drinks a week or (gasp!) none at all. What is your stance on drinking and maintaining a healthy body?
This is a tuffy, because drinking can be a relaxing habit for many. "I feel so much better when I take alcohol out of my diet; I workout harder, eat better, and just have better energy," she says. "But then again, life is about balance, and I do enjoy drinking once in a while. Just keep in mind that alcohol, especially wine, contains a ton of sugar, and that sugar works against your lean muscle mass. So all that hard work you do at 8 in the morning in the studio can  really be slowed down if you're drinking regularly. Plus, trying to get in your workout when you are hungover is BAD NEWS BEARS! You are dehydrated and your heart beats eighteen times faster." Notice increased shaky muscles when holding planks after a night out? That's your body needing water! Darby is human though, and says "don't get me wrong, this girl does like to have a good time. But I do notice I eat less healthy and have a weaker workout after a big night."

Come on, tell us, do you have any bad habits?
"Oh yeah I do! I snack late at night, I chew ice. Often times, I forget socks with my sneakers. Oh, and when I'm drinking, I don't have just one*." *See above.
What is something you are secretly talented at?
"I love to paint. I'm also pretty crafty, especially around Halloween!"

What is one food you cannot resist?
If you were hoping for an admission of a secret stash of Snickers in her kitchen drawer, think again. "Are you ready for this?! I love pickled red beets! I seriously ate a whole jar of them last night. Gross, I know."

Don't get too excited, but pretend you have an entire day to spend alone with no responsibilities. Aside from flying to an island, what would you do all day here in KC?
This was an easy fantasy to imagine for Darby. "First I'd workout, then sit in the sun and sip coffee," she says. "Then I'd stroll through the Plaza and shop." After a relaxing afternoon, she'd get in another workout and do something we'd all enjoy; take a well-deserved nap. 
If you could take your family, friends and Fusion with you, where would be your ideal place to live in the world?
Raised in Nebraska and even living in Australia for a short period, Darby would choose to stay right where she is over anywhere in the world. "I seriously love Kansas City. I have this weird, magical connection with it. I don't want to be anywhere else!"

The Fun Five
Favorite restaurant: Eden Alley. I love all their yummy vegan options!
Inspiring book: Worth Every Penny by Sarah Petty and Erin Verbeck. I just got my copy; it's a must have for small business owners.
Best place to have a glass of wine: My screened-in porch. Or if I'm going out, I do love a Stoli Doli at Capital Grille, or the D Cup at Gram and Dun.
Beauty advice I'd like to pass on: Drink water and lots of it! It makes for healthy skin and a great-feeling body.
I find my confidence in...The Fusion community. The amazing and always entertaining instructors. The PR and Marketing geniuses. And clients that keep us busy and looking better and better each year.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this interview! There is NO ONE like Darbs. Most positive fun energy person there is. KC ladies are so lucky to have her inspiring us! Now only if she can keep me from drinking wine... xoxo

    ReplyDelete