Monday, August 6, 2012

Instructor Spotlight: Brooke Degnan

This month we are sitting down with Fusion Instructor Brooke Degnan. The phrase "awww my abs" has come from most of our mouths the morning after her classes, as she loves training the core and has the sleek tummy to prove it. Dancing for the Kansas City Ballet and the Pacific Northwest Ballet for 15 years, we know where she gets her enviable ability to shoot her legs straight up in the air and why she keeps us on our toes for all those triceps lifts. She can make us sweat until our mats are slippery in Fusion, Mix, and Barre, but did you get to experience her subbing for TnT? Ouch! So where did she get her love of fitness and awesome motivational skills? ("Don't be a baby!" "You can do anything for 20 seconds!" "I'm not starting the countdown until everyone is in a plank!") Read on and get to know how she grew into such an inspiration to all her Fusionistas.

Brooke was born and raised here in KC, attending Pembroke Hill and then onto Southern Methodist University in Dallas. As much as she loved Dallas, she decided to head home and pursue her dance career with the Kansas City Ballet. Through her studies of dance and pilates she went on to become a personal trainer, when one of her clients led her to Fusion and we've had her since September 2008. "I went to one class and immediately told Darby and Shandi I wanted to teach...it is the most challenging class--not only in town, but across the country--that I had ever taken or taught, and I was in love."

Why were you hooked on Fusion?
There are a million things I love about Fusion. On a professional level, I love Fusion because I truly believe this concept is the ultimate recipe for fitness success -- a solid emphasis on forming lean muscle, pure devotion to creating a strong core, and an upbeat, fast-paced class to maintain an elevated heart rate. On a personal level, I love Fusion because of the friendship I have formed with Darby and the other instructors. We have a lot of fun together (sometimes too much??!!) and really do enjoy being around each other. Beyond that there’s also an immense level of respect we have for one another. I honestly can’t imagine a more perfect “working” environment. OH, and I really love our clients! It is so inspiring to see you guys get your butts kicked and keep coming back for more!

Aside from teaching and training, what other kinds of exercise do you enjoy?
I try to fit in a couple of yoga classes throughout the week as well as some running or walking. I like to mix it up as much as possible. Actually, my “back to school” resolution is to take more Fusion classes. It’s so fun to be the student every once and awhile!
 
Speaking of students, you have two kids, Jake 8, and Cate 5. What's a typical day like for you?

A normal day for me starts pretty early…I have personal training clients most early mornings throughout the week. When I’m not training clients, I’m teaching of course! When school is out at 3:10, I can usually be found driving to some sort of practice or game with the kids. One thing I love about being a mom is watching my kids grow into real people…you know, with personalities, opinions, and a sense of humor! I remember thinking when they were babies that I wanted them to stay babies forever. While I loved that baby stage, I realize now that I am loving every stage. It’s so fun to watch them play sports, to have interesting conversations, and to see them become such individuals.

What do you and your family like to do for fun?

I have a very big family and a lot of our free time is spent with them. My kids are all very close to their cousins and that’s so special for me and my husband Blaine to be a part of. (Little side note, although they met through mutual friends, Blaine was acutally a classmate of her older brother!) This summer we’ve spent a lot of time on the lake which we love. One of our family faves is going camping--not necessarily my favorite but the kids really love it! It’s awesome to be able to unplug for a day or two. No ipads, Xboxes, or devices of any kind!

Being a wife, mom, and working full time, what do you do to relax?
Relaxing? What’s that? Just kidding! By nature I am a very fidgety, active, can’t sit still kind of a gal. I almost have to force myself to sit down, take a breath and chill out for a minute. (And we had any doubts about this from taking her classes?!) I try to get a massage as often as possible, though it has been months since I’ve had one. When I do go, Cindy at Hollyday is the best in town!

Fitness and being healthy are obviously a big deal to you, have they always been?

Growing up, fitness was definitely an important aspect of my life. Not only because I was a ballet dancer but also because my whole family was very active. Two of my older brothers were all-state soccer players; 1 swam year round with the KC Blazers; and my younger brother played almost every sport under the sun. My mom placed a lot of importance on being active and eating well, and I am grateful for those lessons and am doing my best to pass on the wisdom to my kiddos.

What do you do to eat well and stay in such great shape?
Ah, nutrition advice...this question always makes me a bit nervous. I see what a struggle it can be for a lot of people to figure out what diet or program works for them, and I honestly believe the best advice is to get to know your own body REALLY well. Look back at a time in your life when you felt your best, looked your best, performed your best, etc. Examine your habits during those times. What was your diet like? Did you sleep 5 hours a night, or 12? Were you working out in the morning, afternoon, evening? Everyone is SO different and determining what works for YOU is the key. As an example, I don’t eat a lot of meat. I realized I don’t digest it very well and it just doesn’t make me feel good. I do eat a lot of complex carbohydrates--which may be considered off limits in a lot of programs, but it's what works for me. Another bit of advice: Everything in moderation! Balance is so important when it comes to either losing weight or maintaining it.

Many of us moms see inspiration in your body that has had two kids...did you find it difficult to lose the "baby weight"? (And is it still considered "baby weight" when my youngest is turning 4? haha..)
Well my pregnancies were different in that I had a condition called hypermesis--basically morning sickness for nine months. I was really sick, and couldn't even keep ICE down. So I didn’t really have a hard time losing the weight as I only gained about 18 pounds each time. I do think it took a good year though before I felt things were…um…where they used to be. The weight came off quickly but the tone and shape of course came after a lot of work!

Well all of your hard work has definitely paid off :) If you had one day to treat yourself, what would you do?

One day to myself??? This interview is like therapy! I clearly need to find more ME time as I am struggling to come up with anything! I guess I would probably sleep in, have some coffee and read the paper. Then I would head to a yoga class at my friend’s downtown studio. I might do some shopping on the plaza...though I would probably only buy makeup or something as I am a disposable product junkie! I would play tennis with my mom (does that count as being all by myself???) and then get a massage – from Cindy of course! And finally a nice dinner at home that Blaine has made. He’s a great cook! Again, does that count as being alone?? Probably not but oh well!

The Fun Five

Favorite Restaurant: Le Fou Frog, hands down. The food is delicious of course but I also love the urban vibe.

Best place to drink a glass of wine: My parent’s apartment on the Plaza because they have the best wine list in town! I love being there, being 9 stories high and looking out over the entire city...so cool.

Inspiring Book: The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield

Beauty advice I'd like to pass on: I’m not qualified for that! I guess if I had to dish it out…get a lot of sleep! Oh, and drink lots of water.

I find my confidence in…Believing that I am good at what I do! I love seeing people transform their bodies and watching them gain confidence in that feat. I have one client that I’ve been training for 10 years. 10 years!!! She never really had to transform her body as she has always been very fit, but the fact that she’s kept me around for so long gives me confidence in knowing I add value to her workouts. My family is also a huge source of confidence for me. We are all very supportive of each other and aren’t afraid to share praise, love, affection, etc. I don’t think there’s a day that goes by that my dad doesn’t tell me how proud he is of me. Even at 33 years old, I never get tired of hearing it!                 
Brooke's parents, four brothers & their spouses
If you haven't already, head to one of Brooke's classes for an intense, all-over workout that will leave you KNOWING you did your best. Along with the endorphins and tight core, Brooke also has such a positive, strong energy that stays with you for the rest of the day. Check out her new class, Fusion 50 at Mission Farms, noon on Mondays.










      



   



  

1 comment:

  1. Just want to say your article is as amazing. The clearness in your post is simply nice and i can assume you’re an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the enjoyable work.
    varicose and spider veins

    ReplyDelete