Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Client Spotlight: Laurie Morrissey

Looking around a typical Fusion class, I'm always wondering about the women around me. We all share the same hard-working, determined bond as we push our way through an hour and congratulate each other as we wipe the sweat from our faces and mats when it's all over. From whatever our daily lives bring us each at home, it's always nice to see the same smiles and feel the support here at Fusion. So we can all get to know each other a little better, we will be featuring Spotlights on Clients too; here's our May gal, Laurie Morrissey. As Director of Sales and Marketing for 435 South Magazine, she is also in charge of Marketing and PR here at Fusion. From spreading the love of her favorite workout to letting loose with her girlfriends, this mother of three is one busy Fusionista.
Laurie with her babies Maddie 8, Bo 5, and Lily Jane 4

When did you start coming to Fusion?
After 7 weeks on bedrest before the birth of my third baby, you can imagine what my body looked and felt like. That was 4 years ago right when I heard about the opening of Fusion, and I have been addicted ever since.

I hear a lot of people speak of the genuine love and in your case, addiction to Fusion. What is it for you that makes it so special here?
It's truly my happy place. I love the music, the energy in a packed class, and pushing myself with all these crazy moves the awesome Fusion ladies come up with for every class. It amazes me that after 4 years they are still making every class different! I love them! Plus I not only get my workout, but my kids and I also appreciate the social time. They have fun going to their "camp" for the day in childcare, and I get to catch up with friends before and after class. Sometimes it may be all the adult interaction I get during the day!

Laurie and her hubby Rob
How did you get started with the Marketing for Fusion?
I quickly hit it off with all things Fusion, and have been helping with Marketing, Branding, Overall PR, and Events ever since. I am proud that I get to help, but really all the credit goes to Darby for creating such an amazing place to make all of our bodies look better than ever! It's easy for me to promote a place that I love so much. I really do believe in it 100% so it's natural for me to want to make Fusion as successful as possible.


So as a wife, mom of three, and full-time Director at a successful magazine, you still find time to create events and promote Fusion. What is a typical day like for you?
(After a chuckle), trying to keep all the wheels on the road most of the time! I'm lucky to work from home and have flexibility, but I do find myself working early mornings or late evenings often.

What is a highlight of motherhood for you?
I had to work hard for my babies--lots of infertility issues--so it helps me be thankful for them every day. Even when they are totally driving me crazy, haha, it keeps me grounded. I love the chaos of lots of kids here playing and running around.

You've said Fusion is your "me-time," has fitness always been important to you?
Always. It just keeps the kinks out and I feel so much better after doing it everyday. It started when I taught aerobics in high school--think headband, shiny leggings, scrunchie and all! My dad is also a big inspiration to me. He is turning 70 next month and is more active than most 20-year-olds! I hope that kind of lifestyle will inspire my kids as much as it does me.

What about those days when you just don't want to work out--how do you motivate yourself?
I just think about that glass of wine, cookie, or whatever I had the night before and know I need to go sweat it out!

What do you do to keep your nutrition in check?
I try to keep healthy choices on hand, because working from home makes it just too easy to jump up and grab a handful of something from my "carb cupboard" as I like to call my kids' cracker/cereal stash. My sister makes fun of me, but I literally write notes to myself and stick them in there to remind me not to mindlessly graze. "Stop! Why are you eating that?!"--stuff like that.

Anything in particular you've adopted as a healthy choice to keep on hand?
I've lately been dashing Frank's hot sauce on hummus; it's super spicy and a great snack with sliced peppers or cucumbers. I also love greek yogurt, chocolate protein powder and Kashi for something sweet. I cannot wait for the Wednesday Farmer's Market to open right next to Fusion so I can just head right out of class and stock up on fresh veggies and fruit.

Fusion, friends, and vodka shots..what a way to ring in 40!

Aside from Fusion, family life, and work, what is another passion of yours?
I live for a fun night out with my friends!

If you had a day to do anything, and time and money were free, where would you be?
Oh, on a beach for sure. I'd start the day with great coffee and a healthy breakfast, then a long walk on the beach. Massage next, then a long nap in the sun, and a relaxing sunset view. Cocktails and dinner with friends and family, then dance the night away...



The Fun Five

Favorite Restaurant: Any new trendy hotspot in NYC! Or here in KC, it's Houston's for food and The Tavern for drinks.
Inspiring Book: I am big on magazines--435 South, Self, Shape, US Weekly, Women's Health, and Cooking Light are a few of my faves.
Best Place to Drink a Glass of Wine: My screened-in porch with friends and Rob, all the windows and doors open with music playing and the sounds of kids laughing on the trampoline in the background.
Beauty Advice I'd Like to Pass On: Lots of water and lots of sleep!
I Find My Confidence In...: Being the best mom, wife, and friend that I can be.

Catch Laurie in your next AM class and let her know you saw her Spotlight! There's something special about all of us Fusionistas...share the love and support one another. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment