Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Instructor Spotlight: Shawna Wright

Fusion's Weight Loss Bootcamps and AmpCamps have been growing in popularity ever since Shawna Wright began leading them in January 2011. We all see the amazing results and pictures posted right here on the blog every couple months, but I wanted to get a more in depth look at Shawna's history and see where her genuine love of what she does comes from.

Shawna grew up here in KC "super active" as she describes it, playing at least one sport every season. The idea of focusing on nutrition and burning calories was not high on her priority list, like most teenagers, especially because her level of activity kept her fit. However, when the college years came, she was shocked when what most dub the "freshman fifteen" hit her and just kept coming. "I swear I woke up one day with 40 extra pounds!" she says. Basketball was still a big part of her life, but as many of us have experienced, metabolism begins to slow at that age and we don't want to accept that we can't still eat like 16-year-olds. After college Shawna got married and had her three kids: Tommy, now 7, Meredith, 6, and Aggie, 2. "After my third baby I weighed more than ever and felt exhausted and overwhelmed at the thought of losing weight and working out," she says.

As fate would have it Shawna's friends, and owners of Fusion Darby and Shandi, were at that time looking for a client to train for an upcoming weight loss contest through Kansas City Fitness Magazine. Darby said they immediately thought of Shawna, knowing that throughout the years she was athletic and would have the stamina and motivation to do well. "When they asked me if I wanted to be their contestant, they knew I wasn't happy with my weight. I instantly knew I would do it...and instantly wanted to puke knowing what was in store for me!"


She spent the next three months sweating her way through 2-hour daily workouts led by "the best in the biz", a nutrition overhaul, and pure exhaustion that she says was worth every minute. She lost an amazing 57 pounds to win the contest. Just twelve weeks earlier she had been at a complete loss as to how she could find the motivation to start day one, and now she was gracing the cover of a fitness magazine. "People know that Darby can kick butt in class and knows her stuff on all things fitness and health. But the amazing thing about her is that she does all of this because she loves it; she really cares about improving people's lives and her success is a direct reflection on her passion and effort." Shawna was so grateful to the people that helped her and inspired by her own results that she began creating workouts for friends and neighbors. Darby kept nudging her to lead a similar bootcamp at Fusion, but "I never took her serious," says Shawna. "The instructors are the best, they all have killer bodies, and I simply did not have the confidence to even consider instructing classes full of incredibly fit women. I had accomplished a lot, but in my opinion, not the flawless Fusion bodies I looked up to for motivation."

Fate was at it again when her close friend Maureen, who had just had her third baby, came to Shawna with a friendly demand. "'I want you to do everything for me that they did for you' she told me, and I knew she was at the exact same point as I was earlier, saying she was DONE being miserable." The thought of helping Maureen reach similar goals was motivation to overcome her fears, so she and Darby put together a plan and enlisted two other women who had heard Shawna's story. The first Weight Loss Bootcamp was a success with the three women losing a combined 115 pounds. Maureen was so enlightened by her 45-pound loss she wanted to spread the love too and became Shawna's bootcamp assistant. In addition, her husband had just opened the Kansas City Sports Club. The enormous infield and access to cardio equipment became a perfect place to run the high-calorie-burning workouts.
Maureen and Shawna before and after. "Sure we now had a lot more fun getting dressed up and going out, but it was so much more than that," says Shawna.

Soon she was collaborating with Darby again to create the current bootcamp regime and led her second Bootcamp of 18 women, who after 12 weeks lost a total of 245 pounds. The successes kept coming and her confidence as an instructor and motivator grew as she helped women lose weight and gain fitness ability. But the most important thing to her was watching their confidence grow. "There is something magical that happens during these sessions," she says, "and it's the most incredible, positive vibe."

The second installment of the growing program, AmpCamp, was designed shortly thereafter as an option for the Bootcamp graduates to continue on with their fitness goals and offer accountability. While it did prove successful for these clients, it "really hit it's stride with those that needed a good bump in their current regime. Most participants are looking to lose about 10 pounds and become stronger, leaner athletes," she says. "I was shocked at how much certain workouts increased my distance running speed, and we have had the same results with our clients. Proof that Fusion's Shock your Body works. I've learned a lot from my clients in both the Bootcamps and AmpCamps, and together we've figured out how to create an environment for incredible success. I'm so thankful for the opportunity Darby gave me to find my health, and in turn get to help others. I love every minute of my job." 

What is it about fitness that keeps you working with women and achieving such positive results?
Fitness is so important to me because of how it makes you feel. Borrowing from Sadie, another awesome instructor here, 'you never regret working out, but you usually regret skipping it.' It clears my mind and body and leaves me feeling powerful. Plus, when you don't feel good about yourself, and you don't have any energy, you start to lose who you are. It affects everyone around you. I have come so far; in the beginning I was so worried that I wouldn't be inspiring or motivating to my clients since I am not the smallest or leanest of the "Fusionistas." But as my confidence grew, I began to realize that my past struggles, and current struggles, are really the key to helping others. It's tough to put yourself out there, but it has been so important for me and I love seeing these women work so hard for what they want.

Aside from the physical training you also help with nutrition. America's rising obesity rate confirms that millions of people struggle with food; did you have similar battles?
I consider myself lucky to have found something that worked for me and wish that upon everyone. The rising obesity rate does make me sad, because I know the difference in a person's quality of life is directly affected by the way they feel. Obesity is way beyond eating too much. It involves habits, emotions, lifestyle, and so much more. I urge anyone and everyone struggling with their weight to get help. Find a friend, program or plan that works for you...and do it. 12 weeks from now, you will be happy you started today.

What's one type of food or drink that is completely off limits to you?
Definitely soda. Drinking that many calories and huge amounts of sugar is just completely not worth it to me. It makes me cringe when people drink it. I am literally embarrassed when I have to buy it at the store (once in a blue moon for guests.) I truly HATE the stuff!

What's a healthy snack that you love?
My favorite would be grapefruit..so delish and refreshing. I also have recently been adding a green smoothie in the afternoon; it's a great way to get in gobs of spinach without sitting down to a salad. Have you heard of PB2? It's interesting stuff and has been sneaking into my snacks. It's growing on me!

Any splurge foods that you just can't live without?
That would be pizza. Which actually works because when I'm craving it I can usually find or create a healhy-ish version that hits the spot. But if you are asking me what food can break me down, it's definitely sugary sweets. Old habits slip back on occasion and for me sugar is like crack. One jelly bean can trigger a day of sugar cravings, so it's way better for me just to avoid it.

So if you do have the occasional slip-up, how do you deal?
If--no--when I slip up, I attempt to counteract it with an additional workout. You can't take it back, and even if I don't burn as many calories as I consumed, working out will usually stop me from "slipping up" for the rest of day or entire weekend! We all do it on occasion, but the thing is to not just say, 'oh well, the rest of today/the weekend/this week is shot so I may as well just keep splurging.' You can start fresh on Monday, but you can also start fresh right now.

Do you follow any particular nutritionists or fitness gurus?
I do like to check into Bethenny Frankel, Jillian, Jackie Warner, and any other successful celebrity trainer/or nutritionist for fun! I am also inspired by a new blog called Share It Fitness. Love it! I actually had to break up with all sorts of food blogs and food magazines. I don't bake anymore, and that stinking Pinterest...did I just see a peanut butter cup pie on the fitness page?! I simply cannot look at it!
The Fun Five
Favorite Restaurant: Capitol Grill and the amazing Stoli Doli
Inspiring Book: I hate to admit that this once avid reader doesn't read much anymore. That is one of the few good, enjoyable habits that got bumped as the alarm started going off earlier due to my schedule. But I will share an inspiring movie: Hoosiers. It pumps me up and brings a tear to my eye every time I hear that song and cheer Hickory to the Championship! But I am way more likely to cry during an Olympic ceremony than a sappy chick flick or dog dies movie.
Best Place to Drink a Glass of Wine: I'm not a wine fan, but for the best, ice cold beer I cannot deny my family's own restaurant, Sutera's.
Beauty Advice I'd Like to Pass On: Keep it simple, and be (or become) happy!
I Find My Confidence In...: My kids and husband. At this point in our life the kids want to spend every minute with us and think I can do anything. I know this will change, but for now I try to appreciate it. My husband lets me be me, and supports me regardless. My mom is also, and has always been, a major confidence builder! She will brag about us even when we don't deserve it. Gotta love that!


Want to check out a camp? The new AmpCamp starts April 22 and Weight Loss Bootcamp begins May 6. For more information, click the News and Events tab, or contact Shawna at 816-835-3451 or shawnawright2002@yahoo.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment